Applying Expatriate Professional Visa in Malaysia could be a tedious process, you might end up wasting a lot of time to do it and yet getting rejected on the application. Here is the guide for you to understand the process in simpler way.

For Expatriate Employees / Job seekers

Before you can apply a professional (DP10) visa, you MUST apply for a job and secure an employment letter / contract. The is the most common misunderstanding of most of the applicants. They though they need to get a expatriate visa first before look for a job. Only expatriates who has job confirmation can apply for the employment pass visa.


Next, the employers need to apply for approval to hire expatriate to work in Malaysia. In this case, employers need to submit all relevant documents in order to apply. Only companies which fulfilled the application requirement will get approval.


Once the approval to hire expatriate received, company will submit applicants’ documents to obtain approval and process calling visa.


For Expatriate Business Owner

Foreigners must setup a private limited (Sdn Bhd) company with either sole director or joint venture with local partner(s) in order to apply for the employment / director visa.


First, register and form a company at register of companies (SSM). In most of the time, company secretary can assist to register a new company. If you need help to register a company, you can contact us.


Then, you need to look for an office to rent with tenancy agreement. Apply for office telephone line. Do check with the real estate agents that you need an office to apply for local council license as well. It is one of the compulsory documents when come to apply expatriate visa.


Next, open a bank account and start rolling the business. In this case, you need minimum three (3) months bank statement history before you can start applying expatriate / director visa.


In some cases, whole retails trade (WRT) may require applicable to foreign owned company. The WRT license in Malaysia can be tedious, as it may involves other governmental departments such as the local town council. WRT license approving authority is the Ministry of Trade and Consumerism of Malaysia. Check with us whether you need that license before applying one. Please fill up the contact us form and we will contact you.


Do you have issue in applying employment / DP10 visa? Most of the expatriate will encounter rejection when come to applying work permit. Thus, we have come out a simply guide below (updated June 2019).


There are 2 categories of work permits in Malaysia:

  1. General workers work visa
  2. Professional / employment visa


In this article we will focus on director / professional / employment visa requirement.


  1. Paid-up capital

RM 250,000 – 100% fully local owned companies

RM 350,000 – 70% local / 30% foreign owned companies

RM 500,000 – RM 1,000,000 – 31% – 100% fully foreign owned companies


Remarks: Paid up capital requirement for 100% fully foreign owned will determine by what types of business setup.


  1. Document required

SSM Form 9, 24, 49 / Section 14, 17, 58 & 26, if companies changed name before, require Form 13

Need an operating office

Office tenancy agreement / sale & purchase agreement

PBT / Majilis licence latest copy

Bank statement – latest 3 months

Audited financial report – latest copy

Company profile

Other licenses as may required

Approving letter from respective department, depending on the business sectors:


  • Ministry Tourism Malaysia
  • Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB)
  • Malaysia Industry Development Authority (MIDA)
  • Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co-operative and Consumerism (WRT)
  • Ministry of Education (MOE)
  • Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI)
  • MADEC / Malaysia National ICT Initiative (MSC)


Please contact us for more info about which documents require to obtain that suit to your business sectors.


  1. Minimum monthly salary requirement

Category 1 – RM 10,000 and above – Company CEO, MD, directors, management level staffs

Category 2 – RM 5,000 to RM 9,999 – Managers, engineer and similar positions staffs

Category 3 – RM 3,000 to RM 4,999 – Semi-skilled, construction workers and similar position staffs.



To apply for category 3, need to get exemption approval from KDN.


Only category 1 & 2 permit holders can apply for dependent visa for spouse and children below 18 years old.


  1. Qualification

Degree holders with minimum 3 years working experience

Diploma holders with minimum 5 years working experience


ICT / IT related posts – 24 years old and above

Other posts – 27 years old and above.


Passport size photo (blue background)




Diploma/Degree certificate

Here are our 4 steps to apply ESD

Step 1:  Review Documents

We will check both company and applicants’ documents to make sure it is compile to the application requirement.

Document checking is Free of Charge (F.O.C), you will be rest assure you know where is your stand point before confirm the order with us.


Step 2: Finalise Documents

Next is to finalise the document submission.


Step 3: Pay For Registration Fee

Upon register an employment pass submission online, will need to pay for the registration fee.


Step 4: Upload Documents

Upload all required document to ESD website to seek for approval


Step 5: Approval

Approval will be issued and proceed to Malaysia Embassy to process entry visa


Step 6: Preparing to Come Over To Malaysia

Book flight ticket and come over to Malaysia


Step 7: Immigration Endorsement

Upon arrival to Malaysia, prepare the passport to submit to immigration for endorsement and get the work permit sticker.


Step 8: Start Work

Applicants may start working and enjoy multiple entries in and out Malaysia during the work permit validity period.